Thursday 6 September 2012

Another birthday...

So its been awhile since I paid my blog some attention but unfortunately I had to spend a few weeks reading up ready for my last year at uni, which begins next week! However, when I've moved house next week I'll be sure to devote a bit more time to writing here.

Back to business though, I made my second birthday cake a few weeks ago for my big brother. I t was quite an interesting task and maybe a little too advanced yet but it tasted good even though the presentation was a bit 'wild'.

Luke has been a keen guitarist ever since we were little and I wanted to stick with that theme. I baked a plain sponge cake in a normal square tin then drew the shape onto some greaseproof paper and built the cake from there.

I wanted to give the cake more of a shiny effect so this time i decided to paint the colouring onto my fondant. It worked quite well all things considered and gave a nice grainy effect but it was a bit patchy in places but practise makes perfect.

Finding a base big enough was a challenge in itself so i ended up using a chopping board covered in cling film which worked perfectly well.

Chow xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment